Friday, January 22, 2010

Let the good times roll....

Soo I have had a lot of firsts since my last post-- first day of school, first arepa, first night out, and overall lots of exploring. We live about a 20-30 minute walk from school so when the sun is up it is perfectly safe to walk, plus a good way to exercise. The sun beats down on us as we trek to school; of course receiving lots of whistles and hollers that we just simply ignore… it’s their culture.

I had Politics and Geography for the first day of school. I already feel like I will learn so much because the NATIVE teachers just lecture in Spanish, are extremely knowledgeable/kind/understanding and there isn’t all of the busy work that I find at Minnesota. I am also taking Children’s Literature, Film Criticism and Linguistics.

The food here is really good and the portions are a lot smaller which is good! An arepa is a flat bread type pita stuffed with different things. They also have tajadas which are fried plantains. We found a bakery which is really close to our house where I think we will spend a lot of time! They have GREAT food and DELICIOUS coffee! It feels like I am at home when I am there.

Last night (Thursday) we finally went out! We met lots of Venezuelan students from VENUSA that went with us, they are SO nice and really want to take care of us. There was a big group of us which was better and safer. We went to 3 bars... bananas, poco loco, and one more that I don't know the name of. There was a really important baseball game going on so everyone was cheering which was really exciting! and the favored team WON! :) Lots of dancing, drinking, hanging out with friends, and good times.

Today we ventured out to the grocery store which was nice. It is very close to our house. And tonight we have nuevos encuentros and a BBQ which is where we get paired with Venezuelan students as a learning experience/buddy system. Should be fun! They are really cool people. Then our new friend Isbelys is taking us out.

I love the location of our apartment and there are 5 of us living in the building which is very convenient.

Hope all is well with everyone at home! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment