Thursday, February 11, 2010

Las Ferias De Sol

There is a lot going on here in Merida as it is the week of Las Ferias/Carnaval. I really don't even know the significance of this but I know that there are bull fights, celebrations, music, and overall just lots of partying and celebrations :) On Tuesday Me, Brittany, and Nora took Nora's host sister Maji to Plaza de Toros. It was a really cool event... kind of felt like I was at the circus. But there were equestrian horses, flamenco dancers, fire jugglers, and acrobats.

Then VENUSA hosted a Carnaval party for us last night (Wednesday). It was very fun! You are supposed to wear costumes, and since we didn't really plan for this, we had to be creative. Brittany and I made fun little masks and just wore black v-necks, jeans, and our fun masks. There was a DJ, dancing, decorations, etc. Anddd.... there was a dance contest. 4 girls! and of course... I was in it! AND I WON! I had had a little bit to drink so I thought it would be a good idea to whip our a back handspring. I kind of failed miserable but everyone was cheering for me, chanting my name, and it was really exciting. I won a nice little Merida t-shirt. Then we went to our favorite bar: Mojitos! As always, it was a blast. I love that atmosphere and the boys that work there :)

Tonight we are going out... and then we don't have classes Monday or Tuesday due to Las Ferias so we are hitting up the beach! I am so excited. We have to take an overnight bus and we are going to stay 2 nights in a hostel with 8 girls. It should be really fun.

Unfortunately, I have a lot of tests, papers, and projects coming up so I will be working on those when I am not enjoying the sun and good friends.

I can't believe I have already been here a MONTH!
I guess time flies when you're having fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment